GridGain/Apache® Ignite™ community update (Issue 1)
This is the first in a series of posts every two weeks or so on what’s happening on the community front. Lots going on so let’s get rolling!
Here’s the status, as of today, of the meetup landscape for GridGain experts who will be speaking at a wide variety of meetups around the world. Because this is our first update, let’s take a look at the meetups our experts have spoken at over the past few months…
- May 17: Miami Hadoop User Group (Venture Hive hosted). Talk: "Apache Ignite and Apache Spark: This is Where Fast Data Meets the IoT." with Denis Magda, GridGain Systems product manager and Apache® Ignite™ PMC Chair.
- June 16: Bay Area In-Memory Computing Meetup. Talk: “Intro to Apache® Ignite™” with GridGain solution architect Dani Traphagen.
- June 20: MySQL User Group NL. (Booking.com hosted) Talk: “Turbocharge your SQL queries in-memory with Apache® Ignite™” with Denis Magda.
- June 22: Data Science Amsterdam. Talk: “Diving into the internals of Apache Ignite's memory architecture” with GridGain Technology Evangelist Akmal Chaudhri.
- July 26: Brighton Java Meetup UK. (BrandWatch hosted) Talk: “Introduction to the many components of the open-source Apache® Ignite™ with Akmal Chaudhri. Watch his excellent talk here (via YouTube).
- July 27: Bay Area In-Memory Computing Meetup. Talk: "Distributed Memory-Optimized SQL Database+Optimised (hierarchical) Clustering with Denis Madga.
- Aug. 22: Bay Area Fintech & InsurTech Meetup. (IBM Cloud will host at Foster City office) Talk: GridGain Founder and Chief Product Officer Dmitriy Setrakyan and Denis Madga will explain how in-memory computing is critical for financial applications. A customer case study will also be presented. (Hosted by IBM Cloud in Foster City. Register here.
- Sept. 13: SF Big Analytics (GridGain sponsored) Talk: “Better Machine Learning with Apache Ignite” with Denis Madga. Register here.
More Upcoming Meetups!
(Please note: organizers of the following meetups have accepted our talk proposals but are still scheduling the meetups. The dates and venues -- and in some cases the speakers -- are TBD). Stay tuned for the next update in a couple weeks!)
- Bay Area In-Memory Computing Meetup Talk and speakers: TBD
- NYC In-Memory Computing Meetup (NEW Meetup!). Talk and speakers: TBD
- Paris Spark Meetup. Talk: “Apache Spark and Apache Ignite: Where Fast Data Meets the IoT” with Akmal Chaudhri
- France Fintech (Paris). Talk: "Powering up banks and financial institutions for FinTech with distributed systems" with Akmal Chaudhri
- London Byte Academy Meetup. Powering up banks and financial institutions with distributed systems" with Akmal Chaudhri
- Hadoop Users Group UK Meetup. (London) “Giving a boost to the Hadoop and Spark ecosystems with in-memory technologies” with Akmal Chaudhri
- Big Data Developers in Paris. “Giving a boost to the Hadoop and Spark ecosystems with in-memory technologies" with Akmal Chaudhri
- Fremont Big Data and Cloud Meetup. (Fremont, Calif.) “Apache Spark and Apache Ignite: Where Fast Data Meets the IoT” with Denis Madga
- Apache Ignite London. Talk and speakers: TBD
Do you manage a meetup and need speakers? Do you have an idea or request for a meetup talk about in-memory computing (or a related) topic? Need support for creating or participating in a related meetup? I can help! Just let me know in the comments section and then we can connect and get it done.
GridGain sponsors several meetups and our experts are always happen to visit yours and speak. Plus when they do, we pay for the food and beverages. Location isn't an issue and many of them are frequently on the road.
Recent blog posts:
Aug. 4: Getting Started with Apache® Ignite™ (Part 7): The Machine Learning Grid (Akmal Chaudhri)
Aug. 3: What you need to know about Apache® Ignite™ 2.0 & 2.1 (Dani Traphagen)
Aug. 2: What's New in Apache Ignite .NET 2.1 (Pavel Tupitsyn)
July 31: Apache® Ignite™ Native Persistence: What about data recovery? Solved! (Denis Madga)
July 23: Implementing the Ignite.NET Plugin: Distributed Semaphore (Pavel Tupitsyn)
July 20: Video: Distributed ACID Transactions in Apache® Ignite™ (Akmal Chaudhri)
July 12: Getting Started with Apache® Ignite™ (Part 6): The Service Grid (Akmal Chaudhri)
July 9: Apache Ignite with Spring Data (Shamim Bhuyian)
July 6: Getting Started with Apache® Ignite™ (Part 5): Distributed SQL database (Akmal Chaudhri)
Do you have your own technical blog related to in-memory computing? Add your blog’s RSS feed to IMCPlanet.org! Syndicating your blog’s feed there will amplify your voice and reach. IMCPlanet.org presents in-memory computing blogs and events from around the world.
In-Memory Computing webinars
Things usually slowdown in summertime – but not when you’re dealing with in-memory computing webinars! If you missed them live you can always watch the video later. Here’s a look at what’s coming up later this month.
Because every webinar is recorded, there is a rich library of past webinars available for playback anytime – with the slides also accessible for download. Here’s a peek at the most recent:
- Building Consistent and Highly Available Distributed Systems with Apache® Ignite™
- Take Telecom to the Next Level with In-Memory Computing
- Distributed ACID Transactions in Apache Ignite
- Financial Regulatory Compliance: Navigating the Ever-Changing Landscape
- GridGain 8.1 – In-Memory Performance w/ Durability of Disk Across 1000s of Servers
In-Memory Computing Summits
The only industry-wide events for in-memory computing users, the In-Memory Computing Summits focus on IMC-related technologies and solutions. The conference is attended by technical decision makers, implementers and developers who make or influence purchasing decisions about in-memory computing, Big Data, Fast Data, IoT and HPC solutions.
The In-Memory Computing Summit Europe 2017 was held in Amsterdam June 20-21 with some 200 attendees from 24 countries gathering to hear keynotes and breakout sessions on a broad range of in-memory computing topics.
Experts from several companies – including, ING, Barclays, Misys, NetApp, Fujitsu and JacTravel – presented topics spanning in-memory computing for financial services, web-scale applications, and the Internet of Things to the state of non-volatile memory technology.
I invite you to explore the some of those great talks on the IMC Summit’s YouTube channel – like the one below featuring GridGain founder and Chief Product Officer Dmitriy Setrakyan titled, “Apache® Ignite™: A Memory Centric Approach to Durable Distributed Systems.”
The videos on the IMC Summit's YouTube channel encompass most of the talks, but here is a list of those featuring Apache Ignite and GridGain:
- Apache® Ignite™ Meets Apache Flink
- Distributed ACID Transactions in Apache® Ignite™
- Apache® Ignite™ Service Grid: Foundation of Your Microservices-based Solution
- GridGain and Apache® Ignite™ in Large Banks and Financial Institutions
In related news, the third-annual In-Memory Computing Summit North America is Oct. 24-25 in South San Francisco. The Super-Saver rate is now available. Register here. The agenda is being put together now by the conference committee. It should be available by the next issue.
Useful in-memory computing resources
- Stack Overflow. Stack Overflow is a question and answer site for professional and enthusiast programmers.
- Habrahabr. Habrahabr (also "Habr") (Russian: Хабрахабр, Хабр) is a Russian collaborative blog with elements of social network about IT, Computer science and anything related to the Internet, owned by Thematic Media.
- In-Memory Computing Planet (blogs and events) Add you blog feed!
- “Meetup in a Box.” If you would like to speak at a meetup, start or support a meetup, or have questions about meetups in general – let me know! I can help get you up and running with everything you’ll need.
- The Apache® Ignite™ Forums
- More Apace Ignite community resources
Please share any resources I've excluded in the comments section and I'll include them in the next edition.