NYC In-Memory Computing Meetup
We have a new space for our next meetup courtesy of WeWork, a co-working and office space provider (thank you, WeWork!). RSVPs are required. Register here.
*** PLEASE NOTE***
Due to construction at the 57th Street entrance, please enter via 135 W 56th Street (the meetup will be on the 11th Floor). Please see the bottom of this page for entrance details.
* 6 p.m. -- Pizza, beer & networking
* 6:15 p.m. -- Talk 1
* 7 p.m. -- Talk 2
* 7:45 p.m. Raffle drawing & announcements
* 8 p.m. Finis
Our first speaker is probably the person with the most in-memory computing experience on the planet: Sam Drake. Sam is an architect of the Oracle TimesTen In-Memory Database. He was an early member of the TimesTen development team, and has worked on TimesTen in various roles for over 21 years.
Sam's talk is titled: "A brief history of In-Memory Databases."
Abstract: In 1984 Ronald Reagan was president, computer RAM cost $40,000 per gigabyte, and research in in-memory databases was just beginning. Today RAM costs a thousand times less and in-memory databases have gone from crazy research projects to a must-have component of modern computer systems. This talk will give a brief history of in-memory databases from both a technical and market perspective.
Next up is senior solutions architect Fotios Filacouris. Foti's talk is titled, "All the Cool Kids are Doing it: The Whys and Hows of Architecting a Distributed Caching solution for your use case with Apache Ignite."
Abstract: Are you considering a distributed cache to help accelerate and scale your existing application? Or do you have a new project that you know the SLAs are going to require an act of magic to produce? Have no fear, Foti is here to walk your through some reference architectures on various use cases that have benefited from using Apache Ignite. He will cover the Why and How of each use case and the pros and cons of different technology choices. How to use Kafka, noSQL, RDBMS, Kubernetes and container deployment, Spark, etc will all be discussed in terms of various best practices in architecting the right solution with Apache Ignite.
About the speakers:
* Sam Drake is an architect of the Oracle TimesTen In-Memory Database. He was an early member of the TimesTen development team, and has worked on TimesTen in various roles for over 21 years.
* Fotios Filacouris is a senior solutions architect at GridGain Systems. Prior to joining GridGain in April 2017, Foti was a senior engineer at EnterpriseDB and EtQ. At GridGain, he helps customers solve problems and answer questions on-site as well as online. He is also an expert in market research, helping the product team enhance current products and services as well as to identify new areas of opportunity. Foti is based in New York City.
• What to bring
Come hungry! Delicious hot pizzas & cold beverages will be available
• Raffle prizes
* 1st Prize -- Atari Flashback 8 Deluxe with 105 games - 2 Wired controllers and 2 Wired Paddles + 7" Color LCD Monitor (http://bit.ly/2ERm0Xg)
* 2nd Prize -- $50 Amazon Gift Card
* 3rd Prize -- $25 Amazon Gift Card
• Important to know!
Housekeeping note: Our event host is WeWork (a coworking and office space provider). They've generously donated the space for our meetup. Since the building has security, RSVPs must close 24 hours prior to the meetup. When you and your guests arrive at WeWork, please check in via the Guest Registration Tablet at the Front Desk. Enter your name as a guest of Abbey Lelina. A photo ID is required.